The City: London’s Historic Heart Walking Tour
Historic London Tour
London is one of the oldest cities in the world, founded by the Romans nearly 2,000 years ago. The area where Londinium, as it was known, stood is now one of the most important financial districts on earth.
This tour traces the story of the historic heart of London and shows you the huge mix of buildings, places, institutions, and streets in the area known to all Londoners as ‘The City’.
Where else can you see a 350-year-old church, a nineteenth-century courthouse, and an award-winning 21st-century bank on the same street junction?
What’s Included In This Historic London City Walking Tour?
- Be met by your professional Blue Badge guide
- Hear how London has survived fires and bombs and see the evidence of these disasters
- Walk the winding lanes and visit the hidden courtyards that the guidebooks miss.
- Discover fragments of the past: a Roman temple, a medieval churchyard, a Tudor great hall, baroque churches, and even a Mesopotamian tablet.
- Marvel in some of the groundbreaking pieces of modern architecture that pepper the area
- See the mysterious London Stone
Historic London City Tour Itinerary
Londinium was the largest Roman city north of The Alps. The medieval walled city was a rich, mercantile destination. Shakespeare came here to seek his fortune. The City was almost totally destroyed by fire in 1666. Hitler’s air force nearly wiped it off the map in 1940.
This is the story of The City of London.
We will discover the places where this story happened, searching for historic evidence amongst the skyscrapers. We will see a Roman Amphitheatre and some of the magnificent churches designed by Christopher Wren. His most famous work is St Paul’s Cathedral where Prince Charles married Diana and the funeral of Winston Churchill took place.
We can also arrange a tour inside St Paul’s Cathedral as an additional extra – for more information, check out our St Paul’s Cathedral page here.
Why Choose Us For Your Private Historic London City Walking Tour?
- Learn about the wider context of London’s story from your Blue Badge guide.
- See the places the guidebooks miss and hear the stories they omit.
- Walk at your own pace and ask the questions you want to be answered.
Tour Duration: Approx 3 hours
Meeting point: At your centrally located London accommodation OR at St Paul’s underground station
Contact Us About Your Own Historic London City Walking Tour
At London by Luxe we understand that no two private tours will be the same, and we endeavor to tailor every tour exactly to the tastes and requirements of our guests. So if there is anything we can do to customize your tour, just let our friendly planners know in the form below.
Rated 5-Star on Google & TripAdvisor
Other Guided Day Tours from London by Luxe
Or view our multi-day UK tour itineraries: